Monday, January 10, 2011

To Loub or not to Loub





I've never been a big expensive shoe girl.  I've always felt like shoes are a frivolous expense, because the life of a well worn shoe is not 20 years like a handbag, but 5 years tops.  Simply because shoes live in the mucky swamp land of the roads we travel - coming into contact with all sorts of goodies - water, gum, dirt, spit, trash, human excrement ... the list goes on (shudder).  If I spent $600 on a pair of shoes and woke up the next morning to find a wad of gum with other peoples' hairs stuck to the side of my creamy Louboutin leather...I think I'd actually cry.  This is why I've never pulled the trigger on a pair of expensive shoes.  In a way, I think making the decision to buy your first pair of expensive heels should be somewhat of a right of passage into womanhood.  Something that is saved for a time in your life when you're finally over the late night club crawls, have grown up and matured, and are finally able to take proper care of your investment.  Similar to how a mother waits until her little girl is mature enough to not lose the pair of heritage diamond earrings she's been waiting to pass down.  It's symbolic for growing up, in a way, no?  At least to me it is...sadly...I see it all too often: a poor, disheveled and unfortunate young girl being dragged out of an establishment, purse lost, eyes rolled back...and her gorgeous Yves Saint Lauren shoes completely trashed.  Not me, not ever.  I couldn't bear the heartbreak, or the walletbreak.


I'm loving these shoes...could these finally be "The Ones" - my first pair of Louboutins?


This is a good example of a versatile heel that will work all year long.  If you're going to spend mega cash on a pair of shoes, they should fall into the "staple" category - something that can be paired with at least 20 outfits that pop into your head in under a minute.  Something that will still be wearable in 5 years. You should not have to struggle to find ways to wear them.  And when you do purchase them, make sure to take them to a TRUSTED shoe repair first, and have a protective rubber sole put on to preserve the integrity of the original sole (only on the sole - not up onto the shank...you want to show off that glazed red!) and if the shoe in question is a pair of boots - have a toe tap put in to preserve the boots' life.


I'd wear these with a bare leg in the summer, with black tights in the winter, with dresses, leggings...they can go many ways.  Hmm....decisions decisions!  If I get these, I'm going to commit to sacrificing something else...like "no dining out for 2 months" or "no cheese for 6 months" - something to really make me consider whether or not these shoes are worth the money, and sacrifice.


xo,
Viva

8 comments:

  1. Any shoe with a heel at that height, screams foot surgery in 2025..."no thank you"...Yes they are beautiful, but they just don't seem worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha to the above comment. Believe it or not, I'm actually immune to the pain by this point. I've worked in heels for years and some of my most comfortable shoes are 5 inches...weird but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you eat $100 worth of cheese each month?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ lmao ^ good point...I guess I was saying that eating cheese is *that* pleasing to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say go for it! You seem past that stage... Plus those shoes are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So freaking cute. But the hefty price tag makes the purchase questionable. I say look for awesome knockoffs via steve m, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As cute as these are they look like they could have come from Aldo

    ReplyDelete