Monday, October 11, 2010

Our Secret Weapon


One of our best weapons to our avail is our scent.  And men, I'm talking to you too.

It can be easy to get into the habit of not putting perfume on regularly, because hey, it's not like we need it and you forget the effects it has after you put it on when you get used to the scent and stop smelling it, so it doesn't seem that out of place to just not put it on in the first place.  BUT, I'd like you to stop and think about when someone else smells good.  It's always such a pleasurable experience, right?  I love it when a woman or man walks by and smells great...it's so refreshing and lets be honest: a turn on.  It draws you to them.


This, my dears, is why I suggest you put on cologne or perfume every single day.  Unless you're allergic...it's always better to have some on than not.


Traditionally, women were pretty faithful to one particular scent.  However nowadays, more women are buying numerous scents and wearing them to suit their every and any mood.  I personally have a collection of about 6 different scents, and I enjoy choosing from a variety to compliment my outfit, location or emotion.  However, if you find a perfume that does really well for you, its A-ok to stick to just that one.  Also, I always carry my perfume on me, so I can apply it numerous times throughout the day (if your purse is small get an atomizer).  Applying it once in the morning doesn't cut it. Keep in mind though, your perfume should never upstage you.


For the ladies: I really like to display my fragrances somewhere in my house in a location where they can be grouped together and where they look beautiful.  It will really inspire you to put them on and feel wonderfully feminine.  It's nice to get a mirrored tray that you can place them on as well...I have mine on my bathroom windowsill and on my vanity grouped together.


Men's cologne is a little bit tougher.  I feel that the majority of mens' cologne all smells the sameish. Pretty musky, masculine and typically Axe-like "mens cologne" type smell.  I prefer more off-beat scents on a man.  Alfred Dunhill Desire is a good example of a cologne for men that smells very different from what you would expect.  Also, the Tom Ford line is great for both women and men.  I am increasingly beginning to enjoy darker and more unisex scents on women, and sweeter, more spicy scents that may be a bit more feminine on men.  I like that it's unexpected.  However, you do not want to overdo it by going too far in either direction...not too cologne-y for women and not too sweet for men.


Some of my favorite scents include Lolita Lempicka (which I wore a lot in high school), Kai, Angel, YSL Paris, Miss Dior Cherie, a few of the Bonds, Marc Jacobs (gardenia), Jean Paul Gaultier (spice) and Calvin Klein's new scent Beauty.  I tend to gravitate towards more feminine/floral scents.  I am keeping the scents I currently wear under wraps, however. (Hee hee hee). For men, I really love Marc Jacobs, various Le Labo scents, various Tom Ford scents, Curve and John Varvatos as well.  There are SO many though...you can find a bunch that smell wonderful.


One last thing...I think it's safe to say that any of the body sprays from Victoria's Secret or Bath and Body works are a no.  Hey I liked them too growing up, but it's time to leave them in our days of underaged drinking and afterschool activities.


xo,
Viva

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Beautifully scented colognes/perfumes have made me notice people walking by that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Body sprays should definitely not be worn in its place, but I think its nice to spray on right before bed for aroma therapy. Thanks for sharing Vieve!

    ReplyDelete